Devices Needed to Download eBooks and Audio Books
There are several types of devices you can use to access eBooks and audio books.
If you do not own a portable device such as a tablet or eReader, you can use your computer/laptop to download and read books. If this is the method you are using, you will need to download a program to your computer/laptop from OverDrive's website called Adobe Digital Edition. This free program will allow you to read your eBook on your computer.
There are a number of different brands available including the Kindle Paperwhite and the NOOK Glow and Simple Touch. These devices may require a computer/laptop for browsing and selecting books before downloading them to your device.
Important: Periodicals are not available on E-INK Kindle devices.
There are several tablet devices that can be used for eBooks and audio books. Example of tablets include: iPad, Kindle Fire, Google Nexus, Samsung Tablet, NOOK Tablets, and several more. These devices generally do not require a computer/laptop for downloading ebooks. In order to easily download eBooks and audio books directly to these devices, the OverDrive Media Console App is needed. If downloading periodicals, the NOOK app as well the OverDrive app is needed. These are free apps available at: NOOK store, iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play. Check your device's online marketplace to see if this app is available for your device.
Most smartphones that utilize apps have the ability to download eBooks, audio books, and periodicals. These devices require the OverDrive Media Console app (for periodicals the NOOK App), which is free to download. Check your device's online marketplace to see if this app is available for your device.
One copy per person
Downloadable eBooks and audio books are treated similar to tangible copies of books and audio books; they follow the same copyright laws. For example, if a digital copy of the book in OveDrive is checked out, then that book is not available for others to checkout until the expiration date of the eBook or audio book is reached or it is returned early by the person who has it checked out.
Instructions for Downloading Books by Device
- Tablet/ Smartphone Device (PDF)
- Kindle Devices (PDF)
- NOOK Tablets (PDF)
- E-INK Devices (PDF) (Early eBook readers such as the Sony Reader, NOOK Glow Light, Kobo)
If there is an eBook or audio book that you are interested in, but it is currently checked out, you do have the option of putting yourself on the waiting list for that item. To do this, you will need to enter a valid email address and follow the steps to place a hold/request. When that item is available you will be notified by email.
The loan period for eBooks and audio books is 14 days. When the loan period has expired, you will no longer be able to open the eBook/audio book on your device. At this point you may have to delete the item from your device. For ePeriodicals, once downloaded, the item will be in your possession until you delete it from your device.
If you have finished the eBook/audio book early you have the option of returning it. This is encouraged so that the eBook/audio book will be available for others to check out.
One of the benefits of eBooks and audio books is that there are no late charges! When your expiration date is reached, you will not be able to open the eBook or audio book. At this point, you need to delete the eBook or audio book off your device.
Currently, there is a checkout limit of 5 items, which can be either eBooks or audio books or a combination of both. You do have the option of returning items early in order to checkout more items.
For periodicals, once the item has been downloaded, it is yours to keep. It will remain on the device until it is deleted.
hoopla is an incredibly simple to download and use app. Card holders can currently check out a maximum of 3 items a month. The types of downloadables available on hoopla include television shows, movies, music albums, audiobooks, ebooks, and comic books!
- Register for a hoopla account by visiting hoopladigital.com, or by using our mobile app on your iOS or Android device. You will need to provide an email address, create a password, and have your library account information ready. Our free mobile app can be found in the App Store and the Google Play store.
- Easily browse titles on your computer or mobile device by clicking Browse All on the format (Music, Movies, Audiobooks, eBooks, Comics, and Television) you wouold like to browse further on. You can also search for a specific title by clicking on the Search box or magnifying glass and typing in your title(s)/keyword.
- To borrow a title, click on the title and then click the Borrow button. Your borrowed titles can be played right after borrowing and found under the My Titles menu for viewing/listening. Enjoy your selected titles!
- Borrowed titles will be automatically returned when your lending period is over. There are no holds, wait lists, or late fees for any of hoopla's content.
Length of Checkout:
- Movies: 72 hours (3 days)
- Television Shows: 72 hours (3 days) - you download one episode at a time, so you may only download three episodes a month.
- Music: 7 days
- eBooks: 3 weeks
- Comic Books: 3 weeks
- Audiobooks: 3 weeks